|Brand :||The North Face|
|Product Code :||Lake Intermediate Tandem May 2018|
Lake Intermediate Tandem
The successful Intermediate Lake Tandem candidate is considered an intermediate tandem lake canoeist, capable of performing a variety of land and water-based rescues and more advanced tandem strokes and manoeuvers. Manoeuvers with the Intermediate program require expanded levels of teamwork and greater precision.
Aim: To expand upon the skills and principles necessary to paddle with a partner in open lake waters, to perform skills and manoeuvers with greater refinement and demonstrate confidence in an open water environment, and to develop a greater awareness of environmental hazards and how to avoid/react to those hazards.
Prerequisites: Introduction to Lake Tandem or permission from Instructor based on proof of prior learning of equivalent skill and knowledge. It is up to the paddler to prove to the instructor by means of evidence, demonstration, or assessment that experience has led to learning. It cannot be assumed that experience has led to learning .
Dates: May 5 & 6
Location: Wascana Lake
- Launch & remove a canoe (in water along rocky shoreline)
- Paddling concepts (J-Lean, power face, non power/back face, inside & outside turns, Catch/Power/Recovery Phase, etc.)
- Paddling mechanics (yaw, roll, pitch, environmental and other forces that effect the canoe, balance, & trim in windy conditions)
- Paddlers box - Body rotation (use of larger muscle group)
- Refine introduction strokes draw (unerwater recover) Bow Rudder
- Cross Bow Rudder & Draw Righting Pry, J Stroke, Stern Pry, Sweeps: Forward & Reverse Sculling Draw, Reverse J, Back Draw
- Option strokes - Sculling Pry, Traditional/Punch Stroke Canadian, Silent
- Performed on both sides
- 100m Triangular Course (4 metre corridor with very little yaw, roll, or pitch)
- Sideslip (90 degrees to dock, limited forward/backward motion, limited yaw movement) 5 metres, both ways, on one side and then the other
- Improved stopping skills
- Figure 8, inside & outside turns for docking, reverse straight-line (25 metres)
- Running Side Slip
- Designs of canoes and paddlers (materials used & repair)
- Canoe solo carry, canoe transport on car: loading and unloading, racks, ropes and/or straps, knots basic, basic lake navigation (for day paddling)